Monday, January 22, 2018

Hummingbird Feeder

A mindfulness/mental wellness lesson... one which I sometimes have to re-learn.
When a task is overwhelming/annoying/frustrating you, it's okay to set it aside and let your mind work on it at its leisure, subconsciously.  I mean, as long as the task isn't urgent or critical, ya know!

My brain needed some space to work on that oil derrick.  I'm stuck on the next step.

So... how about a nice journey back in time to my construction of the hummingbird feeder for the art gallery?  I made it out of a little Christmas wreath LED bulb... the whole thing is less than an inch long.  As I often say, I'm always looking out for objects that could be re-purposed as miniature something-or-others.   This caught my eye!

First photo.  Generic hummingbird feeder, for those of you who may not be familiar.  They consist of a tube, filled with sugar/honey-water solution, and perches, or a ring or rim, for the birds to alight upon as they feed.  We used to attract tons of them out West.  More on this later.

Second photo.  The miniature "feeder",  painted, perches glued on, hung from wood beam.

Third.  The location at the gallery.

Fourth.  The little bulb as it started out life.

Fifth.  The Broad-tailed Hummingbird.

Back to the hummingbirds.  No visualization or memory is more delightful than our backyard feeder.  They would gather and feed all day.   30-40... probably 3-4 family groups.  They became tame and trustful, and with patience, I could stand at the feeder with my outstretched fingers over the perches, and they would perch on them and feed.  Nothing can match the whirrrrr of tiny wings or the close-up beauty and marvel of the little birds.  Ours were Broad-tailed Hummingbirds.  

I can lose myself in regenerating those sensations.  Peace was complete and matchless.  Join me, if you like.  I'm sure your imagination can make it happen!









No comments:

Post a Comment