Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Back to the Chukka... FOOD!

The oil derrick has stymied me sufficiently that I decided to re-visit a previous and favorite feature.  When I'm stuck on a current project in this blog, I like to go back and chat about something from a structure that I completed before starting the blog, and didn't really explain or discuss much.

Tonight... back to the Native American  Choctaw (I'm about 1/8) chukka (dwelling), and the FOOD.  I mentioned that I like to do exhaustive research, the better for immersive, mindful meditation and guided imagery work.

So here we have some things I turned up in my research.

First, an overhead shot of the dwelling, with a few labels  The thatched roof is set to the side.  Maybe in the future, I'll discuss the various inside elements.  For now, let's talk food!  The drying rack provides preservation of cooking and curative spices, herbs, and plants.

Next... a shot of the 'picnic'.   The "traveling" dishes are various combinations of corn, beans, meat...  wrapped and cooked in corn husks or leaves.  Stews were common... rabbit, deer, fish.  Fried dough and breads were also typical.  Jugs of fermented liquids were popular.  People often gathered outside on bear skins or other durable materials to share meals.

It makes a great, comforting, reassuring, focusing meditation to visit this picnic, savoring the sights, smells, and tastes...
I highly recommend a little venture to explore and enjoy yourself here.
Maybe I'll see you there!






No comments:

Post a Comment