Tuesday, November 28, 2017

The Plaza and gazebo




     I'm starting from the beginning here... the basic layout.   I drew it with a basic "Paint" app, but you could use pencil and paper just as easily.  Or maybe you're good with figures in your head!
     Next move... there are various surfaces I'm considering... some I've tried before, some I haven't.
     Sand (acrylic paint, accented with actual sand, and library paste) is the "go-to" surface for my dusty little Western town.  It unites the different buildings, along with rocks, sparse grasses,  and the occasional tumbleweed.
     I used tar (gray acrylic paint and water-based school glue) outside the Lone Star Cycles "cabin".  I used big tiles (paper cut outs, paint and glue) for the Galeria Gila "gallery" walkway and floor,  AND the bike shop floor.   Rugs are thrown here and there (pencils and paint on cardboard, cut and shaped and sometimes fringed).  No wooden floors yet.
     I have yet to experiment with brick, cobblestones, pavers, fieldstones, pavement... marble is probably a little fancy for my frontier town.
     I'm planning  on the standard sand for the terrain.  Then I'm thinking of figuring out a way to make pavers for the plaza, and cobblestones for the gazebo platform.  And maybe the gazebo will be made of wood.
      By the way... guess how I made the tumbleweeds.  Dust-bunnies (made of... dust... plus stray hairs shed by my little red mutt).   Now you know I spend time making miniatures when I should be sweeping!  I grabbed a big "bunny", shampooed and dried it, then divided it into appropriately sized pieces...  then rubbed them into spherical shapes in my palms, hair-sprayed 'em, and placed them into the fence of the bike shop.




No comments:

Post a Comment