Saturday, May 19, 2018

The Beetle, Part 3

As I'm constructing this ancient VW Beetle, a very old friend commented... "That's just like the VW Bug you bought back in grad school!"

I blinked a few times as it sank in.  The first car I ever bought was a thoroughly dilapidated blue-gray 1960 VW Bug.  I was in college... the year was @1980.  I paid $250 dollars for it.  Astonishingly, it ran for YEARS.

Doesn't that boggle your mind?   It did mine.

The Beetle memory had faded and faded, only to sneak up on me in Gailtown.

I spent the next day or two reflecting on related dynamics...
*how many memories "sneak up on us?"
*what are these memories telling us?
*it makes sense to look around regularly and search out these emerging memories in places like... our dreams... our fantasies... our anger... our outbursts... or joys... our aspirations...
*I think a helpful question might be "what does this remind me of?" or "where is this coming from?" when we experience a moving emotion or event.

Interesting things may pop up... and be of assistance as we seek to be mindful, in the moment, at peace with the past.

For me... I think I needed, and profited from... some thought on past and present goals... acceptance, forgiveness, planning...


No comments:

Post a Comment